Welcome to the ‘Materially Social’ blog. I’ll be using this to share ideas under development, comments on books and papers, and responses to discussions. I’ll also do some brief summaries of pieces I’m publishing more formally elsewhere. That means I’ll be covering a range of topics in political economy and social theory, including
- the digital economy
- the diversity of the economy
- alternative ways of thinking about the economy
- finance, value and profit
- social norms
- social structure and social construction
- critical realism
- and economic sociology, social ontology and social theory in general
Like most bloggers, I don’t expect to agonise over getting every sentence to a peer-reviewable standard. As a result I may write the odd thing I come to regret or just change my mind about. I expect I’ll miss out some important things too. On the plus side, though, I hope that will help to make it lively and accessible!
Why ‘Materially Social’? I hear you say. That’s the topic of the next post.
[Revised Jan 2021]